Open Secret: Glimpses of Folklore in Resistance and Revolution will run at the premier Museo ni Emilio Aguinaldo, also known as the Cavite El Viejo Shrine, in Kawit, Cavite from Saturday, November 11, 2023 until February 2024. The kick-off program on November 11 is open to the public.
The exhibit is a partnership of the Ramon Aboitiz Foundation through its Casa Gorordo Museum, the National Historical Commission of the Philippines, and the Local Historical Committees Network.
Lending support is the Municipality of Kawit, Kawit Tourism, and the Department of Public Works and Highways – National Capital Region.
Open Secret highlights the influence of folklore on the participation of the masses in the revolution against the Spaniards towards the end of the 20th century.
It is a unique view of the formation of the 1898 Philippine Republic which was established upon the victory of Aguinaldo’s troops in the Kawit Revolt and installed him as the first Philippine President.
The exhibit is a black light show – darkened spaces serve as galleries for paintings rendered in neon acrylic, the artworks glowing against the black lighting.
On display are various images from Cebuano folklore and culture produced by young and budding Cebuano artists Ezra Carillo, Lexi Velasquez, Anne Beatrice Aparicio, Valerie Demecillo, Godfrey Sigamata, Clea Louel Laurel, Stephanie Jan Bacallo, Michael John Gedy, Raili Ann Kapuno Reshney Marie Arcillas from the Cebu Institute of Technology-University CAMVAS (Creative Alliance of Multimedia and Visual Arts Students) and Aljun Alvarez, Mea Surigao, Gabriel Rupert Panim, Jean Mansueto from the University of the Philippines – Cebu FASO (Fine Arts Student Organization).
The Aguinaldo Shrine is the ancestral home of Aguinaldo. It is distinctly prominent in Philippine history as the Declaration of Philippine Independence from Spain was read by its author, Ambrosio Rianzares Bautista from the window of the grand hall on June 12, 1898. When he became president, Aguinaldo enlarged the house and constructed an elaborate “independence balcony” which was used for Independence Day celebrations. Aguinaldo donated the property to the government on June 12, 1963.